Research Technician I (Chemistry)October 22, 2018
MicrobiologistOctober 22, 2018
Molecular Plant Pathologist
Gala Pharmaceutical Inc. (OTC:GLPH) is seeking a molecular plant pathologist. The successful applicant will play a critical role supporting our gene editing platform by helping develop new traits to control plant diseases in agriculturally important crops. This position will report to the Chief Scientific Officer, leading plant disease molecular discovery efforts and work with a team of researchers who use a range of molecular, cellular, and biochemical technologies in plants and other model systems to identify and characterize potential new gene editing targets related to plant disease. The primary responsibility of the molecular plant pathologist is to ensure effective execution of a range of plant, molecular, and protein-protein interaction experiments to identify and dissect novel plant pathogen interactions. There will also be opportunities to help mentor junior scientists, communicate project updates throughout the company, and to interact across multiple functional areas including plant pathology and crop gene editing teams. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a talented individual to learn, grow, and influence in a dynamic environment focused on cutting edge gene editing technology.
- Deep understanding and practical experience with a range of modern technologies related to Molecular Biology, Protein Interaction and Biochemistry, and Plant Biology such as cloning and other DNA/RNA manipulations, PCR, qPCR, western blotting, enzyme assays, and transient expression and other functional assays in plants.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and dissect novel protein-protein interactions using yeast two-hybrid, protein purification, and/or other related technologies.
- Demonstrated success using functional assays in plants and other model systems.
- Exercises technical discretion with experimental design, execution, and interpretation. Demonstrates leadership in the laboratory by proactively contributing innovate ideas and executing scientific investigations with precision and sharp attention to detail.
- Able to independently manage one or more short term projects while meeting deadlines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills including preparation of technical reports, SOPs, and presenting scientific progress.
- Capable of influencing and motivating others, including effective mentoring of junior researchers.
- An independent problem solver with strong organizational skills.
- Has a strong sense of accountability and team driven success.
- Able to be independent, self-motivated, and enjoy working in a highly collaborative, dynamic, and fast-pasted R&D environment.
- Prior experience in the field of plant-pathogen interaction and/or an interest to pursue a career in this area is highly desired. Prior experience working in an agricultural biotech environment is also desired, but not essential.
Required Experience and Education:
- B.S. (Required)
- M.S. in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Plant Biology, or related field (Preferred)
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Plant Biology, or related field (Ideal)
- Competitive Salary
- Medical and Dental
- Maternity Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Paid Time OFF (PTO)
- Job Type: Full-time
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.